Letter No. 80 of Malawi Malawi
TELL U.S. ABOUT YOU!
At, May 5, 2010
Since last December, my Letters Malawi took a particular liking with the 20th anniversary of the death of my sister Annie. A compulsory license which I reflection on the theme of suffering. It came to me naturally, attentive to the inspirations of the moment. And yet, life goes on with his lots of surprises.
Tell us about yourself, tell me my mommy. Where to begin? Let the story from the beginning. I arrived in Malawi in September 2001. In fact, I just reread my previous 79 Letters from Malawi and I got an idea to publish them. With small touches here and there, some pictures and more, who knows, you might be interested.
At the rate of about one letter a month, here unfold before my eyes the newspaper a decade. I offer you the first words of introduction to the book:
First impressions are usually the strongest. I remember being deeply disturbed and concerned at my first experience on African soil in Zaire in 1980, at the time of President Mobutu Sese Seco. I thought about Africa to have memorized the names of all countries with their capitals. I lacked the field experience.
- Do not get used to looking at women carrying heavy loads on their heads as if it was normal. The task is so overwhelming.
These words of a colleague still echo in my heart. The danger is there. Reality eventually becomes familiar, even the most offensive. You get used to everything, or almost, to cope, to survive, to protect themselves psychologically. But we must never forget. That's why I write short stories to my parents and friends. Write no other ambition than to share a little piece of my story. Thus the "Letters from Malawi" were born. The Internet has allowed me to write more often, more quickly, not without difficulty, as this account of a decade will show you.
I never thought of publishing these stories. But now the idea has emerged as the natural culmination of a journey. I invite you to discover new faces that will become your brothers and sisters.
As the dew of morning spreads its pearls on a spider web, referring to a diamond necklace under the rays the sun, so the "Letters from Malawi" turn into a diamond necklace on the vast canvas of the Internet. Bon voyage!
Can you guess the title of the book? River Diamond, Diary of a Decade of Malawi . It is not a literary but a brief sharing history '. I feel like I have said so little. Surprisingly, almost 200 pages to guide you to align to Kanengo Mua through Mzuzu and Zambia to lead to Chez. Strange places with indefinable contours marked by a language, Chichewa, which conceals a treasure difficult of access.
Tell us about you! Yes, I admit. Just as I hope to listen to you when I get back home as early as next August for a sabbatical. Indeed, my colleagues offered me a year at Quebec in computer software during layout, graphics and websites in anticipation of a return to Malawi to serve the Province of Southern Africa. I will also have the chance to accompany the African Catholic community of Quebec. What could be better?
In the meantime, I replaced the priest, André Bilodeau who will return from leave next month. Pastoral activities are not lacking; tours in the villages, preparing various celebrations, office work and meetings. Really, Chez is a beautiful place and people are friendly.
What do you think of my publishing project which will include the translation of the book I wrote about the Cultural and Artistic Center Kungoni? I am a little anxious to hear your feedback.
0 comments:
Post a Comment