Choose the way of Jesus
Royal St-Arnaud, permanent deacon in the diocese of Trois-Rivieres, invited me to record an interview that will in Shawinigan February 1 next on Radio Ville-Marie. What is the origin of my vocation approach, wonder there. But how to say a few words the story of a life? Where to begin?
God's call is as mysterious as the origin and purpose of life. This call is as nebulous as the meaning of life, as mysterious. It is as big as the discovery of a place of meaningful engagement. This call consumes the existence in the eddies of the refusal to accommodate the inner voice demanding the abandonment of the narcissistic ego. In truth, this call is scary. Peace is possible only in the free consent to give everything for love.
- Why me? There are others who are much better than me , I said one day to the Lord.
But on a cold winter night under a lamppost obscuring a sky as black as my soul, I looked up and asked me where I find myself next year, two years or five years. Unable to figure anything, a voice emerges from the darkness that changed the rest of my life, "you'll be somewhere. Just trust. " My heart calmed down and I restarted. This led me to Africa.
In the turmoil of the Quiet Revolution of the 70s, to understand God's call was part of a tour de force. My years of study in theology at UQTR proved to be a hobby in hopes one day to understand where that would lead me. All lit up when I received my acceptance letter (which I treasure) inviting me to join the Missionaries of Africa. That day, I knew, not an intellectual or abstract knowledge, but by spiritual intuition, I finally found my way to follow Jesus completely. The initial hesitation then gave way to elation as a St. Francis of Assisi, who sheds all for a greater good: the abandonment and confidence in the Word of Truth, the Gospel.
According to Jewish tradition, Jesus has reached adult maturity at the age of 12. He moved to Jerusalem and the temple remains unknown to his parents who seek anxious for three days (Luke 2, 41-52). Only now I pay attention to the first word that comes from the mouth of Jesus as presented in the Gospel: "why you sought me? "In fact, the official recognition of his majority, with the intelligence that shows Jesus sitting among the teachers, it could have decided to pursue a successful career at the Temple of Jerusalem rabbinical. However, it will return to Nazareth for another 18 years before the beginning of his apostolic life. Jesus does so, because its real mission is to live in the house of his Father, he will do once and for all on the cross.
This same issue that has monopolized my youthful years: why am I looking for Jesus? More than ever, this issue remains alive while the building of the Catholic tradition is strained, interspersed with scandals and prophecies.
Ultimately, it is deciding how to Jesus. What is this way of doing things? It's all about freedom from a choice that has to be that the well-being of my own person, to Rather, dedicate the choice to others, especially the poorest. In my case, this has materialized in my missionary in Africa, to begin in Zaire-Congo, Malawi and then maybe soon in Zambia.
- What should I do? "Asked the rich young man to Jesus (Mark 10: 17-22).
- One thing you lack: go, free yourself from the chains that keep you from devoting your life to your brothers and sisters, then come, follow me.
Living how to Jesus, I am welcome and offer my addiction the will of the Father. For that, I try to preserve what is good while keeping me so hard that my whole being, my spirit, my soul and body be kept blameless (1Thess 5, 17-24). The appeal of yesterday is the same as today. As before, I do not know where I'll be in the coming years. I do not care. In this way, I tame me calmly that other passage that will be my death. The taste of life that drives me today, already has a taste of eternity.
Father Serge St-Arneault, M. Afr
Royal St-Arnaud, permanent deacon in the diocese of Trois-Rivieres, invited me to record an interview that will in Shawinigan February 1 next on Radio Ville-Marie. What is the origin of my vocation approach, wonder there. But how to say a few words the story of a life? Where to begin?
God's call is as mysterious as the origin and purpose of life. This call is as nebulous as the meaning of life, as mysterious. It is as big as the discovery of a place of meaningful engagement. This call consumes the existence in the eddies of the refusal to accommodate the inner voice demanding the abandonment of the narcissistic ego. In truth, this call is scary. Peace is possible only in the free consent to give everything for love.
- Why me? There are others who are much better than me , I said one day to the Lord.
But on a cold winter night under a lamppost obscuring a sky as black as my soul, I looked up and asked me where I find myself next year, two years or five years. Unable to figure anything, a voice emerges from the darkness that changed the rest of my life, "you'll be somewhere. Just trust. " My heart calmed down and I restarted. This led me to Africa.
In the turmoil of the Quiet Revolution of the 70s, to understand God's call was part of a tour de force. My years of study in theology at UQTR proved to be a hobby in hopes one day to understand where that would lead me. All lit up when I received my acceptance letter (which I treasure) inviting me to join the Missionaries of Africa. That day, I knew, not an intellectual or abstract knowledge, but by spiritual intuition, I finally found my way to follow Jesus completely. The initial hesitation then gave way to elation as a St. Francis of Assisi, who sheds all for a greater good: the abandonment and confidence in the Word of Truth, the Gospel.
According to Jewish tradition, Jesus has reached adult maturity at the age of 12. He moved to Jerusalem and the temple remains unknown to his parents who seek anxious for three days (Luke 2, 41-52). Only now I pay attention to the first word that comes from the mouth of Jesus as presented in the Gospel: "why you sought me? "In fact, the official recognition of his majority, with the intelligence that shows Jesus sitting among the teachers, it could have decided to pursue a successful career at the Temple of Jerusalem rabbinical. However, it will return to Nazareth for another 18 years before the beginning of his apostolic life. Jesus does so, because its real mission is to live in the house of his Father, he will do once and for all on the cross.
This same issue that has monopolized my youthful years: why am I looking for Jesus? More than ever, this issue remains alive while the building of the Catholic tradition is strained, interspersed with scandals and prophecies.
Ultimately, it is deciding how to Jesus. What is this way of doing things? It's all about freedom from a choice that has to be that the well-being of my own person, to Rather, dedicate the choice to others, especially the poorest. In my case, this has materialized in my missionary in Africa, to begin in Zaire-Congo, Malawi and then maybe soon in Zambia.
- What should I do? "Asked the rich young man to Jesus (Mark 10: 17-22).
- One thing you lack: go, free yourself from the chains that keep you from devoting your life to your brothers and sisters, then come, follow me.
Living how to Jesus, I am welcome and offer my addiction the will of the Father. For that, I try to preserve what is good while keeping me so hard that my whole being, my spirit, my soul and body be kept blameless (1Thess 5, 17-24). The appeal of yesterday is the same as today. As before, I do not know where I'll be in the coming years. I do not care. In this way, I tame me calmly that other passage that will be my death. The taste of life that drives me today, already has a taste of eternity.
Father Serge St-Arneault, M. Afr
0 comments:
Post a Comment